|Developer(s)||Marina Olhovsky, others|
|Initial release||Start date unknown|
[ (Release date unknown) ±]
|Written in||PHP, Python|
|Type||Laboratory informatics software|
|License(s)||GNU General Public License v3|
OpenFreezer is an open-source laboratory information management system (LIMS) designed to help biological laboratories with reagent tracking and workflow design.
It's not clear when development first began on OpenFreezer, but a SourceForge project was started by developer Marina Olhovsky on July 18, 2011, followed by a file release two days later.. According to the documentation page of the OpenFreezer demo site, the following releases have been made, though when they were released is unknown: 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1
The most current release is assumed to be version 3.2, release date unknown. In February 2014, the developers placed a message on the site's front page that a new version was anticipated for "the end of 2014, and [it] will include batch reagent creation."
Features of OpenFreezer include:
- reagent and chemical management
- reagent and chemical tracking
- reagent-centered workflow tools
- project management
- user-based security
Requirements for proper installation of OpenFreezer include:
- MySQL version 5 or later
- PHP version 5 or later
- Apache web server
- Python version 2.4 or later
Refer to the installation and setup guide for more information.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
- A demo of OpenFreezer can be accessed here.
- The user guide has extensive information, including screenshots of the program.
Entities using OpenFreezer
- Olhovsky, Marina; Williton, Kelly; Dai, Anna Yue; Pasculescu, Adrian; Lee,John Paul; Goudreault, Marilyn; Wells, Clark D.; Park, Jin Gyoon; Gingras, Anne-Claude; Linding, Rune; Pawson, Tony; Colwill, Karen (2011). "OpenFreezer: A reagent information management software system". Nature Methods 8 (8): 612–613. doi:10.1038/nmeth.1658. PMID 21799493.
- A fork of OpenFreezer on GitHub
OpenFreezer can also be found on SourceForge. However, use caution when downloading and installing from there; the install package may contain undesirable add-on software.
- "OpenFreezer - Download and Install Instructions". Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital. http://openfreezer.org/download.html. Retrieved 02 October 2012.
- "OpenFreezer". SourceForge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/openfreezer/. Retrieved 02 October 2012.
- "OpenFreezer - Files". SourceForge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/openfreezer/files/. Retrieved 02 October 2012.
- "OpenFreezer - OpenFreezer Documentation". Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital. http://openfreezer.org/demo/OpenFreezer/docs.php. Retrieved 02 October 2012.
- "Manual For OpenFreezer Version 3.2" (PDF). Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital. December 2011. http://openfreezer.org/open_manual.php. Retrieved 02 October 2012.
- "OpenFreezer". Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital. February 2014. http://openfreezer.org/. Retrieved 02 September 2014.