|Original author(s)||David Chan|
|Initial release||November 17, 2002|
[ (February 22, 2019 ) ±]
|Preview release||±](May 23, 2019 ) [|
|Type||Health informatics software|
|License(s)||GNU General Public License v2.0|
OSCAR was created by David Chan, and the software was inspired by an earlier 1988 DOS program of Chan's called MUFFIN (McGill University Family Folder Information Network), which wasn't designed as a true paper replacement but had strong patient record features. In early 2001, Chan began working on OSCAR "in part, to address the requirements of the Ontario Provincial Government's Primary Care Reform Initiative, a multi-million dollar initiative to transform primary care in the province." The first private release of the software occurred on April 15, 2002, with a free public open-source version 1.0 of the software finally arriving on November 17, 2002. Releases continued on SourceForge, while the OSCAR Canada Users' Society sprung up in 2007 to foster the growth of the application. With the creation of the group the number of new installations grew by 75 percent from 2007 to 2008, with the majority of users originating in British Columbia. Further inroads were made over the next few years, with self-reported funded user totals reaching "about 1200" in 2012, with an "estimate between 700 and 800 unfunded [additional] clinician provider users in [the] BC."
Features of OSCAR include:
- patient registration and roster management
- complete, customizable scheduling
- electronic charting with Cumulative Patient Profile (CPP)
- prevention management
- prescription management
- disease registry and management
- automated customizable forms
- measurement records with graphing functions
- document management system
- referral system
- secure messaging system
- task assignment
- billing management
Installation requirements will vary based on which version you wish to install. Please refer to the installation guide for the desired version you wish to install.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
Entities using OSCAR
- OSCAR on GitHub
- OSCAR on Freecode
- OpenEMR wiki
- OSCAR User Manuals
- OSCAR - CAISI program
- OCUS, a related non-profit organization
- "OSCAR - Open Source Clinical Application Resource - Background History". SourceForge. Archived from the original on 30 April 2003. http://web.archive.org/web/20030430084359/http://22.214.171.124/index.php?pageId=2. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "OSCAR EMR - About Us". OSCAR EMR. http://oscarmcmaster.org/?page_id=18. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "OSCAR Canada Users Society". OSCAR Canada Users Society. http://www.oscarcanada.org/usersgroups/oscarcanada-users-society/index_html. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "About OSCAR". OSCAR Canada Users Society. http://www.oscarcanada.org/about-oscar/brief-overview/index_html. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "OSCAR Product Suite". OSCAR EMR. http://oscarmcmaster.org/?page_id=37. Retrieved 28 May 2013.