|Developer(s)||Cong Van Chi Truong|
|Initial release||March 16, 2010(1.0)|
[ (September 12, 2011 ) ±]
|Written in||Java, Perl|
|Type||Laboratory informatics software|
|License(s)||GNU Public License v3.0|
MolabIS (Molecular Labs Information System) was a web-based laboratory informatics software designed to provide a framework for data collection and management in molecular genetics labs.
Citing a lack of LIMSs capable of handling the specific needs of handling genotype and phenotype data, Cong Van Chi Truong and others from the Institute of Farm Animal Genetics in Germany decided to create "a general data model for labs conducting Sanger sequencing and micro-satellite genotyping" and then design laboratory informatics software "for storing and managing sequence and microsatellite data in molecular genetics labs with a focus on biodiversity experiments." Version 1.0 was publicly released as open-source software on March 16, 2010, with 1.01 arriving on April 9.
Version 1.02, the last known release, was released on September 12, 2011. The website went dark some time in late 2017 or early 2018, and the project is presumably dead.
Features of MolabIS included:
- user-centric authentication
- data entry via workflow
- project management
- protocol management
- primer and marker management
- data import and export
- sample tracking
- query and filter
- sample storage management
- batch support
For MolabIS to install and run well, users required:
- 20 GB of disk space
- 1 to 1.5 GB of RAM
- VMware Player
Reference chapters three and four of the MolabIS User Guide for more information.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
A slideshow of program screenshots can be found here.
A web demo of the program can be accessed separately, username and password demo.
The MolabIS User Guide is also full of useful information.
Entities using MolabIS
- Truong, Cong V.C.; Groeneveld, Linn F.; Morgenstern, Burkhard; Groeneveld, Eildert (2011). "MolabIS - An integrated information system for storing and managing molecular genetics data". BMC Bioinformatics 12: 425. doi:10.1186/1471-2105-12-425. PMC PMC3268772. PMID 22040322. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=PMC3268772.
MolabIS can also be found on SourceForge. However, use caution when downloading and installing from there; the install package may contain undesirable add-on software.
- Truong Van Chi Cong (16 March 2010). "MolabIS 1.0 Released". Cong Van Chi Truong. http://www.molabis.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:molabis-10-released&catid=39:molabis-releases. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Molecular Genetics Information System". SourceForge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/molabis/. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- VC Truong, Cong; Groeneveld, Linn F.; Morgenstern, Burkhard; Groeneveld, Eildert (2011). "MolabIS - An integrated information system for storing and managing molecular genetics data". BMC Bioinformatics 12: 425. doi:10.1186/1471-2105-12-425. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/12/425.
- "MolabIS Appliance 1.0.2". Cong Van Chi Truong. 12 September 2011. http://www.molabis.org/index.php?option=com_joomdoc&task=doc_details&gid=10&Itemid=53. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Truong, Cong Van Chi (2 February 2010). "Key Features of MolabIS". Cong Van Chi Truong. http://molabis.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=50. Retrieved 30 September 2012.