|Developer(s)||Bika Lab Systems|
|Initial release||September 26, 2005|
[ (September 15, 2017 ) ±]
|Written in||Python, Zope, Plone|
|Type||Laboratory informatics software|
|License(s)||GNU Affero General Public License and GNU General Public License|
Bika LIMS is a free open-source laboratory information management system (LIMS) solution released under the GNU Affero General Public License and the GNU General Public License. Bika Lab Systems, the company that develops the software, also sells customization, hosting, and support services for Bika LIMS users who wish more out of their LIMS.
The name "Bika" comes from the Zulu language, meaning "to report."
Bika LIMS seems to have started with version 1.01, with a public release on September 26, 2005. That was followed up by version 1.1 on February 16, 2006, featuring custom sample types, schema editors, late analysis alerts, and performance improvements. Version 1.2.2 in early 2007 brought with it "improved internationalization and performance through better caching and compression techniques."
Version 2.1 was released on May 26, 2008, featuring a more developed quality control suite and increased automated functionality for further efficiency in the lab. This release was originally intended as version 2.0, but 2.0 was skipped and incremented to 2.1 because "the original 2.0 LIMS specification grew somewhat." At the time 2.1 was released, it was reported Bika LIMS had been downloaded more than 12,500 times.
2.2 arrived in mid-December, bringing with it the ability to send results as file attachments, better bulk analysis request implementation, and better worksheets, queries, and data formatting. 2.3.2 was released in June 2011, bringing with it many performance improvements and enhancements, including the addition of analysis categories, instrument-specific export of worksheets, and SMS support.
Bika Lab Systems later announced that work on version 3.0 was ongoing, with an original estimated completion date of March 31, 2012. The first release candidate of version 3.0 arrived September 2012, and in February 2013 a second release candidate was released.
On August 26, 2013, a notice was posted on the project's SourceForge page indicating the "downloading of earlier Bika versions is being discontinued here," with downloads moving to GitHub. The same day Bika Lab Systems announced similar news on its website that downloads of version 2.x were being removed "to prevent confusion" with the beta and release candidate releases of version 3.0 of the software.
Version 3.1.5 was released on October 6, 2014, adding a few new features like additional watermark support and management of custom preparation workflows, and fixing several bugs. Additional releases have been made since then, with the latest being 3.1.13 in December 2016.
At some point in 2016, Bika began integrating additional features into its LIMS for cannabis testing labs.
| The following feature list(s) is/are derived solely from public, freely-available online information the vendor provides. A lack of a "Y" does not necessarily mean that the product doesn't have that feature. The lack of a "Y" could mean:
For more about Bika's general public license and free nature, please reference Bika's website.
Installation requirements may vary depending on if you use a Linux or Windows install. Reference the installation documentation for details.
Videos, screenshots, and other media
No videos are currently available.
Access the online demo here.
Entities using Bika LIMS
According to the Bika website, users include:
BBK, Centro de Investigación en Contaminación Ambiental, City of uMhlathuze, Quantum Analytical Services, South African Wine Laboratory Association, Sri Lanka Medical Research Institute, and Tecnologías Informáticas Productivas
- "Bika LIMS 1.0.1". Plone Foundation. 26 September 2005. Archived from the original on 18 August 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20070818155712/http://plone.org/products/bika/releases/1.0.1. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Platform". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 27 March 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160327043136/http://www.bikalabs.com/technology. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "License". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 27 March 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160327020133/http://www.bikalabs.com/gpllicense. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Support and Service Provision. Hosting". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. https://www.bikalims.org/support-and-service-provision/index_html. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Bika Lims 2.1 Inkosi open source release". Laboratorytalk. 4 June 2008. Archived from the original on 08 October 2008. https://web.archive.org/web/20081008023520/http://www.laboratorytalk.com/news/bik/bik108.html. Retrieved 08 October 2016.
- "Bika LIMS 1.1.0". Plone Foundation. 16 February 2006. Archived from the original on 22 August 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20070822114636/http://plone.org/products/bika/releases/1.1.0. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Bika LIMS 1.1 Released". PR.com. 15 February 2006. http://www.pr.com/press-release/6762. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Open source laboratory management powers up". Tectonic. 02 February 2007. http://tectonic.co.za/?p=1349. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Bika LIMS 2.0". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 22 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160422175655/http://www.bikalabs.com/softwarecenter/bika/releases/2.0. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Bika LIMS 2.1". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 22 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160422181006/http://www.bikalabs.com/softwarecenter/bika/releases/2.1. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Bika announces Inkosi Lims update". Laboratorytalk. 14 December 2009. http://laboratorytalk.com/article/362030/bika-announces-inkosi-lims-upd. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Bika LIMS 2.3.2". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 22 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160422173914/http://www.bikalabs.com/softwarecenter/bika/releases/2.3.2. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Bika LIMS 3.0a1". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 22 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160422175304/http://www.bikalabs.com/softwarecenter/bika/releases/3.0a1. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Bika LIMS 3.0rc1". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. 20 September 2012. Archived from the original on 22 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160422174742/http://www.bikalabs.com/softwarecenter/bika/releases/3.0rc1. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Gaob Bika LIMS 3 Release Candidate 2". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. 15 February 2013. Archived from the original on 22 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160422174133/http://www.bikalabs.com/article/newsevents/archive/2013/lims30rc2/. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Bika Open Source LIS/LIMS > Files". SourceForge. Archived from the original on 15 November 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20151115023355/http://sourceforge.net/projects/bika/files/?. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Inkosi Bika LIMS 2 'discontinued'". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. 26 August 2013. Archived from the original on 22 April 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160422181011/http://www.bikalabs.com/article/newsevents/archive/2013/inkosidiscontinued/. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "CHANGELOG.txt". GitHub. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bikalabs/Bika-LIMS/57b5beafdcb03c5478cce9bf04425a838b7d73e9/CHANGELOG.txt. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Bika Cannabis LIMS". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. https://cannabis.bikalims.org/methods. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- "SENAITE, Professional Open Source LIMS. The evolution of Bika LIMS". Naralabs. 04 January 2018. https://naralabs.com/en/blog/senaite-professional-open-source-lims-the-evolution-of-bika-lims. Retrieved 04 June 2019.
- "SENAITE, Professional Open Source LIMS". Riding Bytes. 06 January 2018. http://www.ridingbytes.com/2018/01/06/senaite-professional-open-source-lims/. Retrieved 04 June 2019.
- Smit, L. (04 January 2019). "Bika LIMS development stops. Long live". Bika Lab Systems Pty. Ltd. https://www.bikalims.org/news/Bika_LIMS_death_premature. Retrieved 04 June 2019.
- Bartl, R. (12 August 2019). "How can SENAITE be maintained Open Source". SENAITE Community Forum. https://community.senaite.org/t/how-can-senaite-be-maintained-open-source/271. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "Features and Benefits". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. https://www.bikalims.org/features_benefits. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "Importing results". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 22 March 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160322222213/http://demo.bikalabs.com/knowledge-centre/manual/bika-3-user-manual/instrument-import/importing-results. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "More than a LIMS. Web portal and information repository". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 22 March 2016. http://demo.bikalabs.com/knowledge-centre/manual/bika-3-user-manual/introduction-and-overview/lims-web-portal-and-information-repository. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Open Source laboratory information management systems". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 21 March 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160321222759/http://www.bikalabs.com/index_html. Retrieved 04 October 2016.
- "Bika LIMS Products - Bika Lab Systems". Bika Lab Systems (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 27 March 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160327104327/http://www.bikalabs.com/bikaprod. Retrieved 04 October 2016.